Saturday, January 26, 2008

‘SIDESBAR, please . . . '

Those closest to me know that my original career move, fresh out of college was feature film work. I had gone back and forth from theatre to film and finally concentrated on film eventually getting lucky to work a few years in the local industry in Illinois. Looking back, one of my college projects had been to create a short black/white, silent narrative. With a budget next to nothing, old college camera gear and lighting, the assistance of my friends and a few starving actor wannabes, I created a short film that transitions from what appeared to be real life in the first story to that of a TV show in the second story. The second story now had it’s characters viewing the TV show of the first story and that story eventually becomes a film for the third story which had the TV show of the first with the story line of the second on the screen for the characters of the third . . . you get the idea. I entitled it, “Real to Reel”. It was actually very fun and while I honestly thought up the concept all by myself, I later discovered the idea itself was not really a new one – nothing under this sun, you know.

All this to say, I have always been a very visual person and because of this, so many of my analogies revolve around the visual . . . I see TRUTH in ALL things . . . but films are by far, one of my most fun to look at because they are created with a specific idea from the get-go. God presents Himself in ALL things whether the writer intends it or not – it’s an over-riding factor. He’s just waiting for someone to take notice.

It never stops amazing me that what we begin with often stays with us, but the nuances may shift some for now I, more often than not, will see the REAL out of the REEL for the WORD becomes a living, breathing Spirit that ignites insights in the most unusual things.

Sometimes, my head almost hurts at all that I see these days. But I hope it never stops . . . because, trust me . . . nothing compares.

No comments: