Wednesday, January 30, 2008

‘Greater Understanding makes for Happy Feet’

My grandma used to tell me not to worry about the size of my feet ‘Big feet just means you’re going to have good UNDER-standing, Sweetie’. I wear a 9 ½ - 10 depending on the shoe. My grandma knew a thing or two for my feet are proportioned well for my height . . . well for my purpose . . .

A friend of mine came up to me at work the other morning and chatted for a bit. We were speaking about movies and sound tracks. Knowing that I have children, she asked if I had ever seen the film, “Happy Feet” (Animated film about a penguin in an ‘ugly duckling’ scenario). I shared that I hadn’t as my kids had seen it with their father. She raved about it . . . then said, “I really loved it but I think it’s BECAUSE I saw ‘March of the Penguins’ (documentary about penguins) a few weeks BEFORE”. She explained that she had a greater understanding of the little nuances of the animated film – why the singing was such a big part – why the little guy was ostracized at first . . . she told me about some of the habits and ‘customs’ of the penguins and then said, “I’m not sure if everyone else understood all those things or just missed out on the full meaning of everything.” (Wise woman, Trace) To which I said, “It’s amazing what one SEE’s when one has a greater understanding of the HISTORY of something.”

When I begin anything new, I dedicate a few extra minutes to the history of the project. When I meet someone for the first time, I take a few minutes – and maybe many more if the relationship – business, friend or family – allows it to find out from where this one comes. It is amazing what a small piece of information can do in the greater understanding of things. Recently, I had a meeting with an elderly gentleman whom I had met briefly before. This time, we had a few extra minutes so I asked him three things: “I am assuming you are first generation American, from where did you come?” ‘Yes – Germany’. “When did you move here?”, ‘1946’ and “What was your profession?” ‘Tool-Maker’. In three little questions, I understood the essence of the man that stood before me . . . and his character ultimately aligned with my new insight of him for he sought me out to fullfill a promise he had made to me in our first meeting.

One thing is often REVEALED with the help of another. One cannot fully understand the NEW without looking deeper at the OLD. Such is the case with scripture.

As we ended our conversation that morning, this friend and I (well, we had to work, you know), I shared with her that UNTIL I took the time to study scripture . . . my church experience wasn’t all that great. After I started putting in the effort to seek further, every service seemed to send me away with something new. I received a greater RETURN every time I deposited TIME into the effort.

It’s always there . . . greater understanding, that is . . . one just needs find the right shoes.

No comments: