Saturday, January 5, 2008

'Benefit Packages'

‘The lamp of the body is the eye. If therefore your eye is good, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in you is darkness, how great is that darkness !” (Matthew 6:19-23)

It’s no wonder that Scripture has many references to the eyes. God is asking for us to see HIM in all things among the countless lessons. The scripture above holds many truths but for this particular entry, I will focus on one aspect of it.

One’s perception is one’s reality – obviously this continues to be my favored soap box as this message rings so very loudly in my life these days. Modern day ‘life-changers’ have a similar message that they preach – “be positive, see the good in all you do”. To the one seeking, there the answers will be found and a PEACE will eventually surpass ALL understanding because the heart will learn to receive.

The name of this blog should reveal it all – I seek PURPOSE in ALL that is presented to me – in every little THING I do – in every person that comes into my realm – in every TASK that I am called to do.

Many a good Art Teacher will inform his/her students, “That which you go in looking for, is what will ultimately be SEEN in any work of art”. Our eyes are the windows to our hearts. I go in looking for the lesson that will hopefully refine my heart. And such is what I found – a number of times with the many challenges that faced me in this season of employment seeking. In my search for employment, the one thing that ranked top on everyone’s list of questions was, “What kind of benefits will you get?”

My initial reactions were that of defense at first – a search for justification because try as I did, the doors would just not open to a position of substance that would efficiently provide for my needs – needs that have been stripped to basics – not much fluff for this gal lately. Throughout this whole search I did what I had to do which meant taking on odd jobs while I searched diligently for a full-time position that would allow me the utilizations of my giftings as well as give me a good salary. When a position finally became available that placed me in a higher bracket – but still only just met my necessities, I had no choice but to take it. It was a job that filled every criteria which I stated in the last blog - but it offered NO BENEFITS, at least those benefits that mere man has set his eyes to recognize. Just straight pay – nothing more in the means of insurance or paid holidays and such.

As this employment is being replaced by the one I just recently accepted, I offered to help find and train my replacement. I had shared with this friend - the friend that I had recently reconnected - one that was being considered for my replacement - that ‘benefits’ come in many forms. I wanted her to not be dismayed by the lack thereof but to realize something that I had along the way. While this position does not currently offer the standard benefit packages (he hopes to offer this in time), it offers many benefits to the one that tilts his/her head to see it. It offers an opportunity to HONE current skills, an opportunity to gain NEW skills, it offers NUMEROUS opportunities that strengthen resourcefulness, it offers exceptional networking opportunities – something that, in this day an age, is quite priceless, it offers a casual work environment so there is no need to purchase special work attire, it offers flex hours so one can come and go as one pleases as long as the work is completed and finally – it offers a PAYCHECK – as opposed to NO PAYCHECK – and one should view that as a HUGE benefit.

I shared that, not only did this short employment give me the above mentioned, but it SPECIAL TRAINED me for this current position I now have – one that I fully believe I landed BECAUSE of the Crash Course of knowledge I had to gain to do that other job. (The perfect job, at the perfect time, for the perfect purpose . . . )

As you go forward today, I am hoping that you will choose to SEE the MANY BENEFITS that your day, your position, your relationships offer you . . . . continue to make them good.
­

No comments: