Friday, March 21, 2008

‘Loosing Seasons often bring out the WIN’

I’ve written about my kids lately . . . much can be revealed through viewing their young lives . . . poignant passages to our own live in so many ways.

Recently my eldest son wrapped up his basketball season – a tough season as they closed with only two ‘official’ wins on the books. I reference – official – because while this may be etched in the official books, they have actually had so many more winning games in spirit. They played their hearts out. Theirs was a season that started quite awkward – so many new players to this team. While many had played before, and quite well I might add, this was the first time many played together. Anyone even the least bit familiar with sports knows how crucial TEAM compatibility is to having a winning season. Very much in the manner of the young newlyweds, that first season can bring pure joy or bring much anxiety depending on the way things come together.

The Head Coach was a drill sergeant of sorts and many a practice had the boys almost falling over. He got a bad wrap in the beginning for his overly aggressive personality and his quick temper. Had I only seen this side of him, I would have been quite disappointed and tempted to remove my son from the game. I am not soft – but it appeared that he was the negative that kept these boys down. What I soon discovered (from attending the many practices) was that he truly did care for these boys – he earnestly wanted them to succeed . . . so much so that he gave them quite a talk during the wrap of their last practice. He admitted to them that they had made many mistakes – but that he, too, had made many. He wanted them to know that while the season appeared to be pretty crappy, he was extremely proud of their performance – that he had never seen a team IMPROVE so much in the shortest time and he was hoping that it would end up being the ONE SEASON that DEFINED their remaining seasons. He shared that he had only had two loosing seasons in the past – one as a player and one as a coach. He shared that it was those times that MADE him what he was today. He admitted that he slipped this season – that he became aware of many things from this season – many things that he would not soon forget . . . another loosing season that would define him.

This struck a pretty tight chord with me as I have recently walked through what many would view as loosing seasons. Sometimes, life tosses us in with the toughest team players and while we fight like hell to win that game, the final score ultimately reveals a LOSS. In the beginning, when my stamina was quite low, I would have hung my head, allowing myself to get taken down by the official record of society's stat book. But, somewhere along the way, I started recognizing that the official records ONLY matter to those KEEPING SCORE.

I started to recognize the Seeker that I was, the Fighter that I had become and the ultimate Winner I was meant to be.

I honestly don't believe that I would have realized this had I NOT played in those Loosing Seasons . . . for they truly were the times that defined what my character is to this day.

So, to the many who walk through the disappointments of Life’s Loosing Seasons, my hope is that you will lift your head to see the UNOFFICIAL WIN . . . the win that will end up meaning the most in the long run.

Keep playing the game . . .

No comments: