Sunday, February 17, 2008

‘Unlikely Heroes’

We hear so many stories of heroes - men and woman who serve in the armed forces, men and woman who are on the line daily on fire departments, police, hospitals and the civilians who steps up to the plate when called . . . all worthy of our recognition, all worthy of our on-going support. Trust me when I say this because I know a few and they stand above the crowd in most cases.

But there is another group of people, a more ‘unlikely hero’ who, most likely will never receive the recognition many feel should be made when acts of unselfishness are so very clearly expressed. See, that’s how I define ‘heroic’ – a random act of unselfishness.

Recently, I spent the morning with a woman who I most definitely consider a hero . . . would even call her a true ‘Saint’ but a good many have no concept of what that title really means so I will steer clear of that one for now and set it aside for another time. This woman – a friend of mine, has recently taken a leave of absence from employment to live with and tend to her niece who was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer – I will spare the details as it is not my story to share – and will only tell you that her care is greatly needed as there is a husband working hard to manage his job so that he can care for his wife and 4 younger children, the youngest who is only 18 months.

As my friend graciously stepped into the role of care-giver to her niece, she took one giant step into that of a part-time mother, chef, house cleaner, family event coordinator and spiritual guide and counselor to the extended family who is also reeling from the reality of this diagnosis. This friend walks humbly – and carries herself in a manner worthy of the call as she presents herself fresh and beautiful to those on the outside of this intimate story. That is to say, one would never know by her outward appearance that she has taken on these additional tasks as she has made sure that it about the task at hand and NOT the heroic efforts on her part.

So, to my friend and to the many who walk in such a manner, while I believe we are all called to be heroes – unlikely heroes, that is, your lead is exemplary and I hope that I can live a life as worthy as you have made yours.

Be a hero today . . .

1 comment:

truewonder said...

And see, here you are, bringing to light again- another's plight of love and compassion. OH, thank you sweet writer of the soul...so many know not what they miss, the things you unveil. thanks. take care-
terry